After completing a major building expansion project in 2003, Rafn was invited back to complete an overhaul of the playground facilities at University Child Development School. The playground renovation consisted of:
- new CMU play structure with steel Crow’s Nest, climbing wall, and slide;
- new rope tower climbing structure;
- new water feature with weir gate, gravity fed pools;
- new turf playfield;
- 5 new large trees and assorted landscape plantings;
- pavers and decorative rocks.
The project also included a bathroom renovation inside the school building.
Safety considerations included protection of summer students and staff on campus, and pedestrians adjacent to the tight urban site.
The project was on a tight and definite time schedule during the school’s summer break. We finished on time and on budget.